closed up photo of brown metal lot

The Enemy We Call: MOLD | Roofing Boise

Mold belongs to the same family as mushrooms and mildew. While many are just harmless eyesores, there a few that are dangerous to humans and their pets. The one that is especially dangerous is called black mold.

It has been known to cause allergic reactions, respiratory problems, headaches, and even depression. Long-term exposure to these fiendish fungi can lead to permanent health problems and even death. They can be just about any color and they usually spread out into a round pattern.

Rather than trying to figure out the type of mold you have, it is better to get rid of it. If you find less than a square foot of the nasty stuff, it is possible to safely remove it. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and a good respirator mask. Just scrub the mold away with a diluted bleach solution. Those who have respiratory problems anyway should hire professional mold removers.

When to Call in Professional Help

Often times, homeowners will find patches of mold that are larger than a square foot. This is definitely the time to hire a professional.

Another warning is if you smell mold and cannot see it. It usually has a sickeningly sweet smell like moldy bread. It is an indication that mold is hidden in the floors or walls. You should never try to open up walls or floors to check because you will release millions of the deadly spores into the air of your house.

Only an experienced, professional mold remover can deal with this hazardous issue.

Unfortunately, porous things like carpeting, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, and upholstery cannot be salvaged from mold attacks. The small pores make it impossible to completely eliminate the mold; therefore, these things will have to be replaced. Most experts recommend that the items be treated as hazardous waste.

Even after the mold is killed, it will leave a dusty residue that can still cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks. When the professionals do all the mold removal, they will recommend that you vacuum all of your surface areas to get rid of the residue. The best type of vacuum for this is one that has a quality HEPA filter. 

If you suspect that you have mold in your home, give us a call.  If we can’t remove it for you, we will provide you with some recommendations of who can!