DIY Roof Replacement Vs. Professional Roofing Replacement
DIY Roof Replacement or Not?
Today many people know a lot about roofing. Our customers in Boise sometimes wonder whether or not DIY roof replacement represents a smart alternative to seeking the services of a skilled, experienced roofing contractor. We’d like to discuss the pros and cons of this issue:
Some DIY Roofing Pros…Sort of
- Arduous physical activity holds value.
- Constructing your own roof means you’ll know every inch of it.
- Building a sound roof brings a sense of accomplishment.
- Last but not least, DIY roofing may result in reduced labor costs.
The Cons of DIY Roofing
- Not everyone possesses the training, experience, physical agility and strength required to construct a roof successfully.
- Building a roof requires an investment in some tools and equipment.
- Today, many roofing systems involve complex engineering; roofers must possess knowledge about the best type of roofing materials for a structure. Mistakes in installing air vent systems, flashing, skylights, and gutters prove exceedingly costly over the course of time.
- While licensed roofers maintain liability and health insurance geared towards roofing accidents, a homeowner may lack sufficient coverage to undertake DIY roofing safely. Consider that a single roofing accident may cause you (or someone else) significant injuries and liability expenses.
- Some insurance policies may not cover DIY roof replacements.
- DIY roofers usually do not purchase roofing supplies in the same high volumes as full-time roofing contractors. As a result, they’ll likely pay higher prices for some materials.
- Repairing unsuccessful DIY roofing projects may require significant expenditures.
For a variety of reasons, we believe the negatives of DIY roofing vastly outweigh the benefits. Many DIY projects offer rewards. Yet roofing mistakes or accidents also impose unreasonable risks!